Why Practice Self-Care?
Why do we need to practice self-care? It might seem like it’s not something we need to be focusing on, as long as we’re accomplishing the basics (eating, sleeping). It’s about so much more than that. I know, we all live busy lives. You have a full-time job that tires you out during the day. And you want to succeed in your career, so you often put work before sick days, vacations, or something as simple as eating lunch. You come home and there is cleaning to do and possibly a family to take care of. Perhaps you’re like me and have a blog or side-business that takes a lot of your attention. And somewhere along the line, we forget about self-care.
Self-care is about more than just physical health. It’s about physical, mental, and emotional health. It’s about finding balance, between work, time with your family, and time for yourself. You might have read the first paragraph and found yourself relating to it because you’ve let your own self-care fall by the wayside as well. Well, l don’t worry, because I’m going to share a few simple tips to help you practice self-care!
1. Eat Mindfully – When we aren’t focusing on health, we often grab quick snacks that aren’t good for us. Take a second thought and grab a fruit or vegetable instead, and try a homemade meal instead of a frozen meal or fast food.
2. Make Time for Exercise – Even if fitness isn’t something you enjoy, make time for some sort of exercise each day, even if it’s just a walk. Your body will thank you.
3. Take Up Journaling or Meditation – Either of these allow you to be reflective and have quiet time each day.
4. Express Gratitude – Focus each day on the blessings you have in your life instead of what you don’t have.
5. Compliment Yourself – Instead of looking in the mirror and criticizing your appearance, say something you like about yourself.
6. Make Time for Reading – If you enjoy reading for pleasure, set aside time each day to stick your nose in a book.
7. Unplug – Clear your mind each day by stepping away from the computer and turning off your phone. No email, no text messages, no social media.
8. Schedule Self-Care in Your Calendar – If you haven’t scheduled it, you likely won’t do it. Schedule a time each day to care for yourself.
9. Surround Yourself with Positive People – Remove the negative people from your life who bring down your mood and don’t encourage self-care.
10. Remove Physical and Mental Clutter – Remove the physical clutter that stresses you out daily and the mental clutter that prevents you from focusing on more important things.
11. Practice Self-Love – Learn to love yourself, and you’ll be more encouraged to care for yourself.
12. Practice Mindfulness – Learn to live in the moment, freeing yourself from judgment and making the most of each day.
13. Take a Mental Health Day From Work – Once in a while, take a vacation day where you have nothing planned but relaxing at home, practicing self-care.
14. Get More Sleep – To go bed an hour earlier each night (or two, if necessary) and allow your body to get the rest it needs.
BEFORE YOU GO
Make sure to check out these other posts you might like on Refined Revelry!
- 7 Things to Do on Sunday For a More Productive Week
- How to Set Goals You Can Actually Achieve
- How to Start a Side Hustle and Make Money From Home