When I first started blogging, I definitely didn’t have the intention of making money from it (I had no idea you could make money blogging). But it didn’t take me long to realize that it’s totally possible to turn a blog (or another hobby) into a side hustle you can actually make an income from! In this post, I’m talking about why YOU should start a side hustle, and I’m also sharing a few awesome side hustle ideas!
Before you dive in, make sure to sign up for my free challenge to help you take your blog from a hobby to a profitable side hustle!
WHY YOU SHOULD START A SIDE HUSTLE
You Can Diversify Your Income
When I first started blogging, I gave no thought to the idea that I might be able to monetize my blog. In fact, I didn’t even know you could make money blogging! But it didn’t take me long to realize that there are a lot of people online making a great income from their blog or online business. I don’t make a full-time income from my blog by far, but it’s nice to have a bit of extra income in addition to my full-time job.
I love my full-time job and blogging on the side, but a lot of people are side hustling with the intention of turning it into a full-time job. Starting your business on the side before quitting your job is a great way to allow you to grow slowly and stay financially stable until you’re making enough money to make the leap.
Regardless of whether you want to turn your side hustle into a full-time job, having an extra source of income is great! Whether you’re paying off debt, saving for a trip, or just trying to build up your savings account, the extra income always helps!
You’ll Have a Creative Outlet
When I first started blogging, this is exactly why I did it. I have always loved writing and while I was doing a lot of writing in my full-time job, it didn’t leave a lot of room for creativity. The content I share on my site has changed significantly from the beginning, but I still love that it’s my own space where I can write about whatever I want.
I will say, blogging is no longer quite as much of a stress relief as it was when I first started. In the beginning, it was just a hobby and was great for stress relief and just a way to focus on something fun. Since I’ve started making an income from my blog, there are obviously additional stressors put on it. Nevertheless, I still get a lot of joy from it and love having it as a creative outlet.
You Can Make a Career Change
If you’re interested in switching career fields but don’t necessarily have the resume to get a job in the new field, starting a side hustle is a great way to do that! I’ve only worked in one field since graduating college, and by starting a blog I was able to gain experience in areas I would never have otherwise, and that experience would be super helpful if I wanted to change career fields to something more relevant to blogging.
If you have a specific career field in mind that you’re hoping to switch into, think of the relevant skills you’re going to need and what kind of side hustle would allow you to hone those skills.
You’ll Learn New Skills
Even if you aren’t out to jump into a new career, you can still learn some awesome new skills from a side hustle! Before I started my blog, I had no idea of the skills and the hard work that went into running a successful blog and online business.
When I started blogging, I decided I wanted to learn as much as I could about blogging, social media, SEO, etc., and really dove into educating myself. I’ve learned so many skills over the last few years that I would never have had the chance to learn otherwise!
Even if you aren’t planning on taking your side hustle full-time or switching into a new career field, these skills can be super useful in growing your side hustle and in other areas of your life and career as well. I’ve definitely found some of the skills I’ve learned to be super useful in my current full-time job, even though it’s a completely different industry!
You’ll Meet New People
This one has come as a huge surprise to me, but definitely a pleasant one! When I first started my blog, it didn’t occur to me that I might be able to meet new people. I simply started it to have a creative outlet. However, I quickly learned that there are a ton of people online doing the same thing I am, and there are so many ways to connect with them!
One of my favorite ways to connect with other bloggers and side hustlers has been through Facebook groups. There are tons of Facebook groups specifically for people to ask questions (lots of technical questions about setting up and running a blog, as well as questions on growing your audience).
There are also groups solely for connecting with other online business owners. I have met some awesome people in these groups, and blogging definitely wouldn’t be the same without that online community of people who are going through all of the same struggles I am.
You’ll Be Pushed Out of Your Comfort Zone
I’ve always been a fairly shy person and to be completely honest, my comfort zone has always been pretty small, and I definitely feel like that has caused me to miss out on some experiences over the years.
Since starting a blog, I’ve put myself out there in a way that I would never have otherwise, and have had the opportunity to interact with people who I wouldn’t have otherwise.
If you’re someone who has a small comfort zone as I did for most of my life, a side hustle might be an awesome opportunity for you to challenge yourself and come out of your shell a bit!
SIDE HUSTLE IDEAS
- Start a Blog – This is definitely #1 for me! I started my blog in 2014 and have loved it ever since. It’s a great way to make some extra money while also doing something super fun (if writing happens to be super fun for you). The best part is there are so many different ways to make money from a blog!
- Open an Online Shop – Are you really crafty at something? Start selling your goods online! You can set up a shop on a site like Etsy, or set up your own site altogether.
- Become a Freelancer – Whatever your skill is, freelance it! There are tons of sites these days that connect freelancers with work opportunities.
- Sell Digital Products – It’s super easy to create and sell digital products these days. There are tons of options from online courses to eBooks to printables.
- Teach a Skill – If you have an awesome skill, chances are someone else is willing to pay you to teach it to them. Whether you play a musical instrument or are an awesome chef, I guarantee there’s a way to make money teaching someone else your skill.
- Become a Dog Walker/Sitter – If you love animals, this can be a fun way to make a bit of extra money while also doing something super fun!
- Drive for Uber/Lyft – I know quite a few people who have become an Uber driver in addition to their full-time job.
- Take Online Surveys – Online surveys won’t make you a ton of money, but a little extra here and there!
- Get a Part-Time Job – If you want to make a bit of extra money but aren’t interested in doing anything entrepreneurial, look for a part-time job at a nearby business.
BEFORE YOU GO
These are definitely some great reasons to start a side hustle, and the side hustle ideas I shared above are a great start if you’re looking to start one! I would LOVE for you to leave me a comment and let me know if you have a side hustle, and leave a link so we can check it out!
And don’t forget to sign up for my FREE 5-Day blog challenge where I teach you how to grow your blog from hobby to side hustle!